Thursday, September 9, 2010

Come Sail Away

From a meme at WTIT: The Blog

Name three things from your bucket list. I’d like to meet and have a short chat with Paul. I’d like to do a radio show where I could be the last DJ who plays what he wants to play and says what he wants to say. Hey, hey, hey and we’d get back our freedom of choice with the last human voice. I want to be the last DJ. (Apology to Mr. Petty.) I’d like to write a piece of comedy that gets produced. I’d write a killer ass sitcom.


What was the last concert that you attended where the band was much better than you imagined? Yes. My lady loves country fairs and in New England ‘tis the season. She told me Dennis DeYoung was playing the Woodstock Fair. She read that he does the music of Styx. I always like Styx, but I am not exactly a Styx-freak. I asked if he was a tribute band. She hadn’t a clue. It turned out he was indeed the lead singer of Styx until the two main players had a falling out a decade or so ago. When we got to the stage area there were about 50 to one hundred people sitting on blankets. Obviously no one knew who he was. The dude is 63. I expected nothing. I mean the fucker is at a country fair.


When he hit his third song Lady, over 1500 people had crowded in and the cops stopped any more from entering. There was no pushing. We sat on the grassy knoll about five rows from center stage. His band was tight. The dude wailed. He held notes.

My lady said he was note perfect at his age doing 70s rock. She’s not even a fan, but she has the best ear I've ever encountered. So my friends, I’ve got this one as a great one that was better than expected. If DeYoung plays near you, run don’t walk. Here are a bunch of photos that my lady Kathy took.




What’s the next band you’re either planning to see or want to? We are planning to see Mark Lindsay of Paul Revere and the Raiders at the Big E. The Big E is Western New England’s annual regional fare. We are really psyched. If he is half as good as the Styx dude was, it will be fun.

That's all from WTIT: The Music Blog. We hope you join us next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment